Been some time

Well being ill did not stop the reading but did stop all the posting. I managed to keep my goodreads reviews going but could barely find the energy to update here. 

A list of what I made my way through is here. I did finish 72 books and my favourite was Helen Garner's 'Everywhere I look'. I did think 'The Girl on the Train' was a bit over hyped and I am not sure why it received so much attention. 

So this year I am planning on making my way through 60 books. I am aiming to be more adventurous and look to read authors from outside my comfort zone. 

There is a second hand book store near my parents and they certainly sell some stuff cheap. I managed to pick up some classic Australian reads for $1 and 'All the light we cannot see' by Anthony Doerr for $4 and the first book I have read for 2017. 


This book really surprised me, really surprised me. I had put reading this book off for some time as to be honest I was really not ready for another World War 2 story. Yet, this story really creeps up on you. Written as short vignettes of the main characters you become absorbed in their worlds. 
Werner brought up in an orphanage and has a highly developed understanding of how radios work. He is quickly identified by the German army has is taken to a special school to develop his unique talents and encourage him to live and breathe the ideals of the Third Reich. Marie-Laure is blind and has a clever mind. Her father works at the Natural Museum and he teaches her how to navigate the city streets. 
The intertwining of the lives that support each of the main characters make this novel work. All of the characters lift off the page and you have a great deal of empathy for all of them. Regardless of how horrid they are Doerr brings them to life on the page. 

This is quite an extraordinary book and is quite deserving of all the hype.

If you want to know more about Anthony Doerr at his website. 

I am planning on reading the following books in the next couple of weeks:

  • The Last Painting of Sara De Vos - Dominic Smith
  • The One who got away - Caroline Overington
  • The Princess Diarist - Carrie Fisher
  • The Nest - Cynthia D'Aprix
  • The Natural Way of Things - Charlotte Wood
  • Summer Skin - Kirsty Eagar
  • The Amazing Mrs Livesey - Freda Marnie Nicholls
  • Goodwood - Holly Throsby
  • The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton
  • The Bone Collection - Kathy Reichs 
  • Hidden Killers - Lynda La Plante

So quite a bit to make my way through and I am really looking forward to losing myself in some new worlds.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A world without Marie Curie is it possible?

Family perfection awry

The truth is false or is it?